There are several different locations in and around the Great Smoky Mountains for snow skiing, snow tubing, snowboarding and other winter activities. Whether in North Carolina or Tennessee in the winter there is always somewhere close by to enjoy those winter weather sports or just enjoy the beautiful winter weather scenery. Here are some popular places to go to get your winter game on.
Have a Good Time On The Slopes But Remember:
• Dress to stay warm and dry in the cold weather.
•Protect your eyes and wear goggles.
• Wear a hat, scarf or face mask.
• Be careful if skiing with poor visibility like heavy snow storms.
• Be aware of the current weather conditions.
Ober Gatlinburg Ski Resort in Gatlinburg, Tennesse
Ober Gatlinburg Snow Skiing Webcam Link
Snow skiing, snowboarding, and snow tubing and a Freestyle Terrain Park. Equipment rental and lessons are available. Snowmaking and snow grooming to make sure the best slope conditions are provided for the winter sports. A Ski Patrol provides skier safety education and winter emergency care and rescue services.
● 9 trails
● Tubing Park with snow tubing lanes 400 ft. Long
● Indoor ice skating arena
● Downtown aerial tram from Gatlinburg
● Chairlifts offer spectacular views of the Great Smoky Mountains
Cataloochee Ski Area in Maggie Valley, North Carolina
● Snowmaking on 14 lighted slopes
● 5 lifts including 3 moving carpet lifts.
● Snowsports School for all ages and abilities.
● Tube World, 6 lanes of snowtubing fun. Easy 4 lane access.
STATS: • Peak Elevation: 5,400 ft. • 14 Slopes • Tubing
• Base Elevation: 4,660 ft. • Lifts: 1 Double, 1 Triple,
• Vertical Rise: 740 ft. 1 Quad, 3 Carpet Conveyors
A fireplace, restaurant and lounge, plus The Shop at Cataloochee located in the lodge.
Appalachian Ski Mountain Blowing Rock, North Carolina.
11 slopes, 3 terrain parks. Two Quad chairlifts, one double chairlift, 1 conveyor lift, one handle pull lift.
Home of the French Swiss Ski College.
NC’s only Burton Learn to Ride Center.
● Snow ski, snowboard and skiboard and rentals
● Rentals for jacket, bib, glove, goggle and helmet
● 3 terrain parks
● refrigerated outdoor ice skating rink, 46,000 sq. Ft.
STATS: • Peak Elevation: 4,000 ft. • 11 Slopes •Ice Skating
• Base Elevation: 3,635 ft. • Lifts: 2 Quads, 1 Double,
• Vertical Rise: 365 ft. 1 Conveyor, 1 Handle Pull
Bavarian-style lodge with wireless Internet.
200’ observation deck.
Restaurant with fireplace overlooking slopes, Ski Shop, Gift Shop, nursery, locker room, TV lounge and group meeting rooms.
Sugar Mountain Resort-Banner Elk, North Carolina
Sugar Mountain Resort offers many winter activities:
● skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing day and night on 115 skiable acres.
● several 700 ft. long tubing runs
● A 10,000 sq. ft. Refrigerated outdoor ice skating rink.
● Snowboard schools accommodate all ages and abilities.
● Daycare is just a few steps from the base lodge.
● The ski, snowboard and skiboard rental shop offer top of the line equipment.
STATS: • Peak Elevation: 5,300 ft. • 20 Slopes •Ice Skating
• Base Elevation: 4,100 ft. • Lifts: 1 Triple, 4 Doubles, • Tubing
• Vertical Rise: 1,200 ft. 1 Surface, 2 Carpet Conveyors
The base lodge houses 2 cafeterias; the Last Run Lounge; our group sales department; locker room; and the Sugar Mountain Sports & Gift Shop.
Beach Mountain Resort-Banner Elk, North Carolina
The highest ski area in the East at 5,506 feet in elevation.
Snowmaking capabilities that cover 100%
of the skiing terrain. Has a large variety of
skiable acreage including a terrain park that is all
lighted for night skiing.
Ski Beech offers skiing, snowboarding, snow tubing, or
skating on a 7,000 square foot outdoor ice rink.
● Skiing and snowboarding instructions are available for all ability levels
● A program for youths that includes equipment rental, a hot lunch, and a day of instruction in proper ski and snowboard technique.
● Equipment and clothing rentals.
● Shopping and dining.
● Accommodations, including chalet rentals and inns, are close by.
STATS: • Peak Elevation: 5,505 ft. • 15 Slopes •Ice Skating
• Base Elevation: 4,675 ft. • Lifts: 1 High Speed Quad, • Tubing
• Vertical Rise: 830 ft. 6 Doubles, 1 J-Bar, 1 Surface
Appalachian Ski Mtn.
940 SKI MOUNTAIN RD. • BLOWING ROCK, NC
828-295-7828 • 800-322-2373
www.appskimtn.com • www.appterrainpark.com
Sugar Mountain Resort
1009 SUGAR MTN. DR. • BANNER ELK, NC
828-898-4521 • 800-SUGARMT
Beech Mountain Resort
BEECH MTN. PARKWAY • BANNER ELK, NC
828-387-2011 • 800-438-2093
Cataloochee Ski Area
1080 SKI LODGE RD. • MAGGIE VALLEY, NC
828-926-0285 • 800-768-0285